Everytime I see a funnel cake it reminds me of rides, fairs, humidity, crowds and heat. This is what a state fair is like in MN. Im not sure what ingredients vendors use but here is a recipe that I use for clean ingredients that you can understand and Enjoy. You probably have all of them in your cupboards.
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp backing powder
1 1/5 cups milk
1 tbs Vanilla
oil for frying and powder sugar for dusting
Heat Oil to medium high in a frying pan about 2 inches deep.
( I used small pan and made them one at a time.) Mix all dry ingredients and then add milk, eggs and vanilla mix well.
Using a measuring cup with a spout pour slowly in a coil fry until golden, turn over and fry the other side also. drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
some suggestions, serve with fresh strawberries, make them smaller for children.
Seafood is eaten often at our house if not fish than shrimp if not shrimp then crabs. But I never tried cooking King Crab which is by the way delicious. I wanted to add flavor without mixing with too many ingredients. I prefer to cook with ingredients that I know and are not from a can or packet.
- 2 lbs King Crab legs
- 1 lemon sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs of dill
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tbsp Sea Salt
- 2 cups water
I started off with frozen King Crab that I picked up at a local Meat shop MN is too far from fresh crabs. Rinse under cold running water and set aside until needed.
Slice Lemon, and Garlic add to a large frying pan (that will hold at least 3 cups of water). Add dill, butter and salt saute until lemon has some color add water and bring to a boil. Lay Crab Legs into pan bending them a bit, but not breaking.
Cover with lid and let them simmer/steam for 6-7 minutes.
Serve with extra lemons and clarified butter
I served with herbed potatoes and a light cabbage salad
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
- 1/2 Cup of Flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Preheat your oven at 400º F.
- In a large bowl using a mixer blend the eggs, the flour, the milk, the salt, the sugar and Vanilla together. Make sure you mix all ingredients well until the mixture is foamy and smooth.
- Melt the butter and add to batter mix well. pour batter into the pan it needs to be at least 2 inches tall since the pancakes are going to rise quite a bit. Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes on a preheated 400º F hot oven.
- do not open oven so pancake will not deflate.
1 peach sliced
1 tbs butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
saute on frying pan for 5-10 minutes. once pancake is out pour over pancake and garnish with powderd sugar
The Best steak is if it has a pat of yummy butter on top. Grilled, Broiled, Fried, sautéed any way you like it a pat of herb butter brings out the flavors.
- 4 tbsp Butter
- Roasted garlic 4-5 cloves
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Juice of half lemon
- 1/4 Jalapeno
Roast garlic or when frying up your steak saute garlic until soft.
slice up jalapeno
put everything in a food processor. (butter, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, jalapeno and salt) and process until you like the consistency.
enjoy with steak or on bread.
Cod Liver is full of Vitamin A and D. and before you think yuck give it a try. A few months back I was watching Masterchef and each contestant was given a box with Russian ingredients. There was a verity of things in it and one of them was Cod Liver. Even the chefs did not know how to eat it. We were eating this as long as I can remember. This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. It’s almost like a delicacy. A little bit is all you need. you can also top it on your stuffed eggs. But my carb loving self loves Crostini.
- French Bread
- Cod Liver Canned
- Hardboiled Eggs
- Black Pepper
- Tomato (optional)
- Slice up bread and lightly toast
- Spread butter lightly on one side of the toast and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Top with Half sliced cucumber, thin slice of egg, a nice small slice of Cod Liver and Tomato if you are using it.
- sprinkle lightly with salt
- top with a small sprig of dill.
one long french baguette will make about 14 canapes
Another great way to use ground turkey is by making more meatballs. A lot of my recipes are kid friendly because feeding a four-year old is not that easy. So meatballs are alway a favorite way for her to get protein into her. I mask it with Teriyaki Sauce and viola.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cub breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp finally chopped green onion
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- white pepper
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- Pre heat oven to 350
- Mix all meatball ingredients and form into one inch meatballs. lay them out onto baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes or so there is no pink in center.
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 3 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 medium cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- In a small saucepan whisk together soy sauce, 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk together cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup water, then add to sauce mixture in saucepan. Cook mixture stirring constantly, until it has thickened slightly, allowing it to gently boil several minutes, pour over meatballs to coat.
Serve with Jasmine rice and Top with sesame seeds and more green onion.
When eating low carb it does not involve potatoes. Eating healthier would be so much easier. But unfortunately carbs are not your friend! last year I had way too many zucchini in my garden and running out of Ideas I decided to make some Zucchini hashborwns. If you peel them your kids won’t notice that they are eating zucchini. I make this often now and I actually enjoy it very much.
2-3 large Zucchini
1 small onion
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
Wash and grate zucchini on the largest grater, sprinkle with salt and let it sit for a few minutes. Using your hands or cheese cloth squeeze as much water and you possibly can. You will have a lot less zucchini to work with.
Heat olive oil and add diced onion saute 4-5 minutes. Add Zucchini and fry for 7-8 minutes more
to have a nice crispy hash do not turn it over let it fry one side flip it over and repeat with other side.
Serve with Eggs.